India reported its second case of novel coronavirus today. A person who had a history of travelling to China tested positive in Kerala today, the health ministry confirmed. “The patient has tested positive for novel coronavirus and is in isolation in a hospital,” the officials said.
The patient is stable and is being closely monitored, officials added. Earlier, An Indian student of Wuhan University in China tested positive in Kerala which was the first case of coronavirus in India.
Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province in central China, is the epicentre of the outbreak. Across the world, it has been reported in 24 countries, including India. The death toll from a coronavirus epidemic in China had reached 304 as of the end of Saturday. Across China, there were 2,590 new confirmed infections on Saturday, bringing the total accumulated number so far to 14,380.
Earlier this week, the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus outbreak a global epidemic. WHO officials also asked to governments across the world to to prepare for“domestic outbreak control” if the disease spreads in their countries. So far about 124 positive cases have been reported in a host of countries, including 2 in India.
Amid the global outbreak, the Central Government asked all the hospitals across all states and Union territories (UTs) to prepare isolation wards. Health authorities continued to screen all passengers coming from China and Hong Kong at over 21 airports. Immigration and other staff members at airports have been sensitized and ambulances are on standby.
“Countries need to get ready for possible importation in order to identify cases as early as possible and in order to be ready for a domestic outbreak control, if that happens,” said WHO official.
Central government evacuated more than 500 Indian nationals from China this week as the death toll of deadly coronavirus reached to 304 in the country. The Indian Army has set up a quarantine facility in Manesar near Delhi to keep those evacuated from China’s Hubei province. Officials said they would be monitored for any signs of infection for a duration of two weeks by a qualified team of doctors and staff members.
“We look forward to operating another flight to evacuate remaining Indian nationals, who have consented to leave Hubei Province for the time being,” the Indian Embassy said in a tweet on Saturday.